INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE SYMPOSIUM 2022 (ILS 2022)
27th – 28th September 2022
The importance of learners’ language competency, especially graduates of institutions of higher learning has been the concern of both the private and the public sectors including the Ministry of Higher Education, Ministry of Education, and institutions of higher learning. To elevate and improve English language proficiency in Malaysian students, the ministry has developed the Roadmap for English Education Reform in Malaysia 2015-2025 in which an important element of the systematic reforms is the alignment of language education system against the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
“The CEFR is an international standard for describing language ability. It describes language ability on a six-point scale, from A1 for beginners, up to C2 for those who have mastered a language. This makes it easy for anyone involved in language teaching and testing, such as teachers or learners, to see the level of different qualifications. It also means that employers and educational institutions can easily compare our qualifications to other exams in their country” (Cambridge University Press & Assessment, 2022).
In Malaysia, the implementation of CEFR-aligned curriculum started at the primary and secondary school levels in 2017, and to ensure continuity, higher education institutions are expected to deliver curriculum that are CEFR-aligned to newly enrolled students in 2022. Recognising this movement, the Centre for Languages and Pre-university Academic Development (CELPAD), IIUM is organising an international symposium with the theme “Making it Global: CEFR-aligned Language Curriculum and Assessment”. This symposium aims to provide the input needed to examine the readiness of the higher learning institutions in implementing CEFR-aligned language curriculum and assessment.
HIGHLIGHTS OF ILS 2022:
- The Keynote Speakers:
- Prof. Dr. Zuraidah Mohd Don (Universiti Teknologi Malaysia)
- Prof. Barry O’Sullivan (British Council)
- Parallel sessions on CEFR and assessment-related papers.
- Forums on CEFR and assessment.
Potential topics include, but are not limited to:
- CEFR-aligned curriculum in the primary schools
- CEFR-aligned curriculum in the secondary schools
- CEFR-aligned curriculum at the tertiary level
- Teacher training issues in the CEFR-aligned curriculum
- Challenges in the implementation of the CEFR-aligned curriculum
- Language testing and measurement
- Teaching and learning of tilawah skills
- Online language testing
- Online Tilawah testing
- Challenges of online testing
- Islamicization and language teaching and learning
English is the official language of the symposium. Papers may also be presented in Arabic and Bahasa Melayu.
If your abstract is accepted and you have registered for the symposium, you are strongly encouraged to submit a full paper to be considered for publication in an e-book with ISBN number published by CELPAD, IIUM.